Sherrys Stampin' Room: ....Good Morning {Cough, Cough}

Monday, June 6, 2011

....Good Morning {Cough, Cough}

The smoke smell woke me up this morning. Very unnerving! I was up late....1 A.M. and, was up looking out the window by 5:45 a.m. I'm scanning the computer for any updates....nothing yet, I suppose they are still having their meetings and briefings.
If you want to check out the areas webcam, click here:
I hope you can figure it out. You can slow it down, by using the arrow keys, and, clicking through each 15 minutes. The dome you see is in the center of the city-it's the High School's Athletic Dome.
The Phoenix TV channels don't have any new news yet, either. They 'pad' some of the information, so, we take that information with a grain of salt.

All I know so far is:
193,000 acres burned *from last night, may be updated by morning*
3rd largest Arizona fire ever *and, we're not done yet*
2300+ firefighters *THANK YOU!!!!*
Costs are up to $5M so far *Thanks Hikers! AND, thanks ASFS for NOT having fire restrictions during HIGH WINDS AND EXTREMELY DRY CONDITIONS*
{Sorry for that rant! But, that's pretty much the consensis of most locals!}
HIGH winds predicted for this afternoon/evening *20-30 MPH, gusting to 40+MPH  GREAT!*

There are no current evacuations for us yet.
One of the things they say they will be 'working' on, is more timely information.
I have been following the Apache County Emergency Management and Springerville Police Chief FACEBOOK accoounts. They usually have some information.

Yesterday, the fire jumped across the highway, by Nutrioso, so, both sides of the mountain will get it now, including our favorite camping spot!!! (This will probably head into New Mexico.) They pretty much had an emergency evacuation for 6-8 small settlements on the east side of HWY 180. A couple of dry lightening strikes started some fires on that side, also. Unfortunately, dry lightening will be a factor, as our monsoon, rainy season brews. It can't get here soon enough, because, they predict this fire will burn until it gets here. Typically, we don't get any considerable rain until after the 4th of July.......not good.

I sat on this computer ALL day yesterday!
I finally got up and did my own style of FIRE MANAGEMENT--
I made cookies! LOL
I called my friend, Sheila, to see if she wanted go for a ride around town, after supper.
The air had cleared, and I just had to get out of the house!
She had a great idea to give some of the firefighters some cookies!
She and her family had went out to eat, and did a little town driving. She said the poor, tired firefighters are flopped out all over the schoolyards on the grass, sleeping and resting.
So, that's what we did! I'm not sure if we should be doing that, but, we are thinking about going again today.
It's so freaky, driving aroung this sleepy little town of 6,000. We are NOT used to all this commotion.
There are so many 'strange' vehicles and things. LOTS of different fire trucks, HOT SHOT buses, Forest Service vehicles, many Police Official vehicles, trucks with huge satellites on them, TV staion crews, etc. The town seemed to be bustling...I think everyone was doing the same thing we were doing.....just looking...driving aroung to be OUTTA the house!
We drove up by the airport. This was an interesting sight:
 I could see 6 or 8 in a row...
It got too dark for more pictures, but, I hope to go out again for pictures and to the store.

If things 'go south' I'll leave for my moms in Willcox, about 4-5 hours away, cause I have to go the LONG way. The other road is blocked. I don't think I'll be leaving unless the smoke gets unbearable, or we are told to leave. Some people (with babies, or older people, or ones that have breathing issues already) have left on their own already. I am packed and ready to go, which makes me feel a tiny bit at ease. At least I don't have to make a mad dash at the last minute, when I wouldn't be able to think straight. Today might tell...
I just heard the garbage man driving into the neighborhood, so, I wheeled my container to the road. It seems funny that life goes on  as 'normal'. I always listen for the birdies singing...I worry about all the critters, poor things not knowing what is going on....I figure if I hear them singing, I'm still safe!

Well, take a deep breath of your CLEAN, FRESH air, wherever you are!
And, enjoy your BLUE skies for me!

Thanks for your visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your friendly comment! They mean so much to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails