Sherrys Stampin' Room: Christmas Cards for the Military

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Christmas Cards for the Military

I had wanted to do this project several years ago, when our son was active-duty AIR FORCE, and, I guess I just didn't feel confident enough to do.
This year, our AF son (in the AF Reserves now) signed up for a voluntary 6 month deployment. He left July 4th, and will be stateside sometime after the first of the year, 2012. He will be missing lots of holidays. With him missing Christmas at home, I figured this is the year for the Christmas cards to be made!
I had just about everything under control to have local crafters come help me make 500 Christmas cards to send to my sons AF base. I got almost enough local donations to cover the costs of the paper/envelopes/postage; a local Pizza shop donated pizzas for us; I had help from 2 very special friends *HI Sheila and Jennifer*getting the 500 cards and envelopes cut and prepared, beforehand, for the ladies to put together on October 1, World Card Making Day.
So much for all my careful planning......I got whisked away to the hospital in Scottsdale on September 29, and ended up away from home for ONE MONTH, due to a cyst growing around a bile duct, necessitating a 6+ hour surgery for a common bile duct bypass, and removal of gall bladder and stones-14 days in the hospital!!!; then, a 2 1/2 week stay at my moms to convalesce. Whew! One week after I can home, the cards were finally made! I was so relieved to get the 20 pound box of love delivered to the Post Office, Monday, the 7th of November! My son will deliver the box to the base Chaplain, and he will make sure that the military personnel know they are there and to SEND HOME A CARD! What a blessing!!! FOR EVERYONE!!!
Here are some pictures I wanted to share:

500 CARDS PREPPED AND READY TO BE PUT TOGETHER

My faithful cardmaking helpers!
SHIPPING DAY!!!!
These are the cards they assembled. All single layer, for postage savings and NO GLITTER, per OPSEC.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We so enjoyed doing this, that we may do something in the New Year for birthdays, etc.
Thanks for your visit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your friendly comment! They mean so much to me!

Related Posts with Thumbnails